The hospital was built between 1911 and 1917 and was managed by nuns at the beginning and contained a central chapel with two wings containing 100 hospital beds.

During WWI, the Italian hospital was seized by the Turks, and later by the British during WWII.

During the War of Independence in 1948, Israel used the hospital as a frontal firing post against the Jordanian army legion. In 1963, Israel bought the Italian Hospital, which currently serves as part of the Ministry of Education and Culture in Jerusalem.

The facade of the building takes its influence from Florentine renaissance style and strongly resembles the Palazzo Vecchio Bell Tower, the city hall in Florence, Italy.



The Italian Hospital in Jerusalem

Photo: Ron Peled