The ornamented gate was built in the Ottoman period. According to the dedication, it was built under the command of the Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent, the restorer of Jerusalem’s walls, in 1538.



The Nablus Gate

Photo: Ron Peled

For many years this gate, perhaps the most central in the Old City, was neglected. In the 1980’s the plaza was restored and given a tiered form, so that the Ottoman gate would occupy center stage.



The Roman sqaure under the Damacus gate

Photo: Ron Peled

Its name in Arabic, ”Bab El Amud”, is a reminder of the tall pillar which used to stand within the gate and can be seen in the Madaba Map. Through the pillar it was possible to measure the distance to Jerusalem using mile stones that placed along the way